The Brits brought about its annual meltdown and arguments. Louder Than Battle wasn’t there and even slumped in entrance of the TV to observe as we had been too busy being in the midst of music tradition to channel hop however selecting up on the particles of youtube after we got here again in from our excessive decibel gallivanting we scribbled down some ideas..
1. Moist Leg’s efficiency was an excellent piece of kooky pastoral psychedelia draped throughout the chaise lounge with a stage full with dancing bushes and Morris dancers. For a beautiful couple of minutes prime time TV was held in a spell of lysergic insanity and nice pop. Those that nonetheless crow ’business crops’ concerning the band present how little they find out about how music works. Each band is an business plant in a way with its pluggers and PR’s, each band is on the hustle to rise up the greasy pole to only survive. It’s simply that some bands have the songs, charisma and magnetic appeal or the timing to get there and a few bands don’t. It’s all the time been thus. Just like the trad jazz, cardigan carrying college students within the fifties moaning about ‘pop garbage’ just like the Beatles and the Stones and the way they’d by no means final with their ‘tuneless drivel’ and lengthy hair.
2. Pop all the time shocked the over 50’s. As a member of that age group I can bear in mind the awkward Prime Of The Pops when the glam rock freak present was beamed into the UK’s stale previous entrance rooms. One era’s pop artwork was one other era’s garbage or ‘rubbish’ as new oldies prefer to sort. The battle traces had been all the time drawn. The one distinction is that within the seventies the mother and father had been proud to know nothing about pop whereas now the mother and father suppose they’re the specialists! For those who suppose that the Brits is a barometer of all British popular culture then that you must get out extra. In actual fact what had been you doing on a Saturday evening slumped in your settle complaining about ‘music these days’ when was the final time you went out!
3. ‘Usual my era’ era hole in motion – regardless of the Brits being a music biz fandango the response to it’s the age previous considered one of tutting mother and father happening about ‘correct songs’ and ‘what are they carrying’. The previous maxim of ‘I can’t inform if its a boy of woman’ that you’d get within the seventies is now much more complicated for the oldies as there’s typically no reply to that.
4. Sam Smith and his outfit. If pop was typically about smash and seize consideration searching for then this gained arms down. There’s nothing right here that we didn’t take pleasure in again within the glam rock days or the extra esoteric finish of latest romantic. Simply while you thought there was no sartorial mixture left to freak folks out then this bloated PVC contraption despatched the oldies onto social networking in a wonderful and livid infinite rush of badly typed missives. Similar to the legendary bloke kicking in his telly when the Intercourse Pistols had been on it was a contemporary instance of pop’s capability to nonetheless shock.
5. The individuals who suppose that British pop music is over as a result of they don’t really feel cosy watching the Brits are clearly out of contact with the fantastic plethora of contemporary music which continues whatever the annual present. The Brits is about as correct reflection of what’s happening on the market because the Eurovision Track Contest nevertheless it annoys all the proper folks
6. Individuals who go on about ‘actual music’ and ‘correct songs’ are bizarre – what’s ‘actual music’? That’s like music as if it was a chunk of turf or a set of curtains.
7. Think about if we had social networking within the seventies – what would have our mother and father and grandparents been tweeting about Bowie or punk – the concept they thought their views had been related to popular culture would have been laughable then…
8. Moist Leg profitable was a triumph. Lets take pleasure in it whereas we are able to. It’s been their yr. The album is nice they usually have someway reinvented the indie wheel into one thing else and there’s a kooky spectral air of a genuinely and enticingly off kilter vibe about them.
9. Finest Brits ever? Definitely did its job significantly better than the clumsy denim previous days of Mick Fleetwood and Sam Fox and that awkwardness.
10. It’s simply an awards present. Settle down. There’s nonetheless a great deal of nice new music on the market from Nova Twins – who had been nominated to Oneda to Freya Beer , from Josef Van Wissem to Mango In Euphoria, from Her Image to Soup! Some could even find yourself on this annual jamboree, most gained’s however they’ll nonetheless make nice music on the best way.
We’ve got a small favour to ask. Subscribe to Louder Than Battle and assist hold the flame of unbiased music burning. Click on the button under to see the extras you get!
SUBSCRIBE TO LTW