From visiting superstars to showcasing native and nationwide expertise, the Royal Conservatory of Music introduced the classical and jazz live performance line-up for 2023-24. Koerner Corridor’s fifteenth season will see greater than 80 live shows, together with two visiting orchestras together with probably the most formidable Piano Recital Collection but, and extra.
“As we have fun the fifteenth season of Koerner Corridor, I’m immensely pleased with all that has been achieved to deliver artists of the very best calibre to this unbelievable venue, and I’m very grateful for the generosity of our donors and patrons who assist and share our ardour to unite folks with lovely music,” says Dr. Peter Simon, Michael and Sonja Koerner President & CEO in a press release.
Right here’s a take a look at among the choices.
Worldwide Orchestra Collection
Constructing on the large success of the current go to by the Chicago Symphony Orchestra to Koerner Corridor, two orchestras will embrace Toronto of their itinerary throughout the coming season.
“Our Worldwide Orchestra Collection, launched this 12 months with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra and Maestro Riccardo Muti to distinctive accolades, will proceed to offer the uncommon alternative to see legendary orchestras in Toronto as we welcome orchestras from Berlin and Philadelphia this season. One other private spotlight would be the Royal Conservatory Orchestra’s debut efficiency at Carnegie Corridor in Might 2024 — that will likely be a really proud second for Canada, this metropolis, and this establishment,” notes Dr. Peter Simon.
Staatskapelle Berlin with Daniel Barenboim
The Staatskapelle Berlin has centuries previous historical past, initially based by Prince-Elector Joachim II of Brandenburg in 1570. Maestro Daniel Barenboim was voted Conductor for Life in 200. The venerable ensemble will current all 4 of Brahms’ symphonies over two days: Nos. 1 and a couple of on November 25 and Nos. 3 and 4 on November 26.
The Philadelphia Orchestra with Yannick Nézet-Séguin
The multi-award successful maestro and one of many main orchestras in the USA have carved a formidable path within the classical music world. Montréal Maestro Yannick Nézet-Séguin is marking his tenth season as Music and Inventive Director, and his third go to to Koerner Corridor on April 17 will function Florence Worth’s Symphony No. 4 and Rachmaninov’s Symphony No. 2.
Classical Live shows
The Largest Piano Recital Collection But
- Mahani Teave (Koerner Corridor debut)
- Sir András Schiff
- Angela Hewitt
- Víkingur Ólafsson performs The Goldberg Variations
- Hélène Grimaud
- Igor Levit (Koerner Corridor debut)
- Richard Goode
Vocal Live shows
- Grammy Award-winning vocal ensemble Chanticleer
- Los Angeles Grasp Chorale, staged by Peter Sellars: Music to Accompany a Departure
- Macedonian-Canadian mezzo-soprano Ema Nikolovska (Koerner Corridor debut) with Charles Richard-Hamelin
String and Chamber Music Live shows
- Grammy Award-winning violinist Augustin Hadelich with Orion Weiss (Koerner Corridor debut)
- Danish String Quartet
- Violinist Isabelle Faust, cellist Jean-Guihen Queyras, and pianist Alexander Melnikov
- Violinist Daniel Hope and his ensemble: Celtic Desires
- Dover Quartet with Norwegian pianist Leif Ove Andsnes
- Kronos Quartet’s fiftieth Anniversary Farewell Tour
- The Brentano String Quartet carry out Schubert’s “Trout Quintet” with virtuoso pianist Jonathan Biss and award-winning double bassist Joseph Conyers
Royal Conservatory Orchestra (A part of the Temerty Orchestral Program)
- RCM alumnus Earl Lee, famend Korean-Canadian cellist and conductor, at the moment Assistant Conductor of the Boston Symphony and Music Director of the Ann Arbor Symphony conducts the Royal Conservatory Orchestra with Kyung Ah Oh
- A number of Grammy Award-winning conductor JoAnn Falletta (Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra and others) conducts the Royal Conservatory Orchestra with Henry From
- Joshua Weilerstein (Orchestre de Chambre de Lausanne) conducts the Royal Conservatory Orchestra with Kanon Shibata
- Peter Oundjian, Stewart Goodyear, and the Royal Conservatory Orchestra go to Carnegie Corridor
- College students from The Glenn Gould Faculty’s vocal program will current their totally staged annual Opera On March 20 and 22
Jazz Live shows: Masters and Protégés
- Juno Award-winning Hungarian-Canadian pianist and the RCM’s inaugural Jazz Artist in Residence, Robi Botos and Associates
- Eight-time Grammy Award-winning bassist Christian McBride
- Oscar nominee and seven-time Grammy Award-winning trumpeter/composer Terence Blanchard and his electrical ensemble E-Collective with double Grammy Award-winning Turtle Island Quartet
- Pianist Brad Mehldau: Solo
- 2023 Grammy Award-winning jazz singing sensation Samara Pleasure
- The Jon Cowherd Trio and the Larnell Lewis Band that includes Pleasure Lapps
Mervon Mehta commented, “Night time after night time, audiences have proven us how starved they’ve been for reside music performed by nice artists in an distinctive corridor. We’re additionally conscious about how devastating the previous three years has been on musicians and the way thrilled they’re to return to creating music for all of us. The 2023-24 season is crammed with a few of our dearest mates and 16 artists and ensembles who will make their debuts with us. As normal, Canadian expertise sits comfortably alongside their worldwide counterparts and our college students proceed to shine ever brighter. We encourage you to come back to your favourites but additionally to attempt one thing new. You’ll not be disenchanted!”
The whole 2023-24 live performance season of 80+ live shows will likely be introduced in early June 2023.
Get the day by day arts information straight to your inbox.